Saturday, September 04, 2004

Americans born abroad, rejoice!

People who really understand politics in America know what I'm about to talk about. If you're a PhD in Math, students memorizing their times tables tend not to argue with you. Because people know the names of the two parties (generally), the names of the candidates for president (even, sometimes, their running mates), they labor under the false impression that they can talk about politics with anyone.

(Please don't take this to mean that I don't enjoy talking politics with everyone. This only applies to those who are both clueless and convinced they're right).

Yesterday, I was having a conversation with some people in the atrium of my law school. We were talking about the "natural born citizen" requirement for presidential candidates (if this subject interests you, please see my post below, "Immigrants Need Not Apply.")

Here's how the relevant part of the conversation went:

Me: "One time, some idiot tried to argue with me, saying that people born outside of America can't be president."

Some idiot: "That's true. If you're born outside of America, you can't be president."

No, this can't be. Two people really think this is true? How many more are there?? Why are they so convinced???

I tried to ignore it, but he wouldn't let up.

Some idiot: "I have friends who were born on a base in Germany, and they can't be president, so that's how I know."

The most convincing proof for anything that I have ever heard. Remember, this guy is probably going to be a lawyer.

I'll spare you the end of the story, but I needless to say I couldn't resist putting him in his place.

Should you encounter such a determined individual, please direct them here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/campaigns/junkie/archive/junkie070998.htm

Ken Rudin is a political genius who used to write an answer column in the Washington Post. I have no clue why the column was discontinued, but at least it still exists in cyberspace.

And for those of you born an American citizen anywhere in the world, be of good cheer. You too can be president of the United States.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home