Thursday, September 09, 2004

Immigrants Need Not Apply, Part 2

An addendum to my post below, "Immigrants Need Not Apply," which advocated a Constitutional amendment to allow naturalized citizens to become president.

In that post, I listed a group of English monarchs that were born in other countries, but went on to become great and loyal rulers.

Per my friend Richard, I add an example from Russian history, that of Catherine II (aka Catherine the Great).

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/section/Cathrin2_Reign.asp

Catherine was born in a small German state, and moved to Russia in order to marry an heir to the throne. After her husband was deposed, she was installed as ruler. A quintessential "enlightened monarch," Catherine the Great was a great reformer at home and greatly extended Russia's power abroad, in Eastern Europe and in the Middle East.

Please email me with any other examples from history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home